06 June 2011

Week 3 - Archives, Bad Dürbach, Legoland

So this week I was once again in the archives.  I wasn't quite as productive as I wanted to be, but I kept working, and reading and taking notes, so it's not a complete loss.  On Tuesday I met with the professor I am working with here to discuss the works I am covering in my chapters.  She had some great ideas and I think that our conversation will help me streamline what I'm doing in my dissertation.

Friday we had the opening of a new exhibit at the Literature Museum: a collection of letters from Franz Kafka to his sister Ottilie.  There was a very nice presentation at the archive, and then everyone went over to the museum to see the exhibit.  One of the advantages of being here in Marbach, is that there are a lot of events and lectures going on.  They may not have to do with my precise topic, but they are interesting none the less.

Saturday was my friend Melissa's birthday, so I rode out to meet her and some of her friends in Bad Dürbach.  The city is on the German Wine-road - in the Pfalz area of Germany.  It was a beautiful day.  We first saw the enormous wine cask that they have turned into a restaurant.  Had a lovely meal at the restaurant.  Tasted some lovely wines, and then toured around the countryside a bit more.  We walked up to some castle ruins and took some amazing picture of the countryside.  In all it was a great day.

Sunday we went to Legoland.  I have always kinda looked down on legoland thinking that it was kinda lame, but I have been converted.  It was awesome.  In part it was great because it was the opening of the Star Wars exhibit and they had stormtroopers wandering around.  We had a nice time going on rides, enjoying the day, and generally relaxing.  I got some amazing photos of both the park and the stormtroopers - to be posted soon.

No comments: