07 January 2010

Restaurant: Wok-In Asia Imbiss

In keeping with my Chinese food theme, we thought we would try out the other Chinese place in Tübingen while Andy was here.  Wok-In Asia Imbiss is on the way from my dorm to campus and I've walked past it many times, but had not yet gone in.  

The decor is far less kitchy than at Asia Bambus, but to be honest I'm not sure if this is a plus or minus.  At any rate, there were plenty of tables, and the service was good.  My review of this place is tainted by the fact that I was coming down with a cold and that we didn't order what we usually do.  Typically we will order the Kung Pao chicken at a Chinese restaurant as a baseline, but since Andy had just eaten Kung Pao (Or Gung-Bao as they say in Germany) he wanted something different. 

We started out with soup.  Since I was starting to come down with something I figured a nice spicy soup was appropriate, so I got the Kung Fu Suppe, which was designated as "scharf" or spicy.  It was indeed spicy, but I attribute that to the chili oil that was liberally added to the soup and which basically sat on top of the broth.  I probably should have gone for the Peking Soup again - since that's the closest they have to Hot and Sour soup, but oh well.  Andy once again got Chicken soup with veggies, since they didn't have egg drop soup.  The soups were ok, but I think they were probably better at the other place.

For a main dish I got the #12 Knusprig gebackenes Schweinefleisch m. Gemüse (crispy pork with mixed vegetables) and Andy got the #57 Knuspriges Hühnerbrustfilet mit pikanter Erdnusssoße (crispy chicken with a piquant peanut sauce.  Mine was ok - it was basically chunks of pork fried in a batter and mixed with sauce and veggies.  Andy's was a whole chicken breast, fried and cut into slices, on top of veggies and a peanut sauce that wasn't terribly "piquant."  Both were interesting dishes, but ultimately fell short in terms of taste and presentation. I'm used to international foods in Germany being a little off, but these were just weird.

If I were to choose a Chinese place to go to in Tuebingen, I would probably choose Asia Bambus, but we may have just picked odd dishes.  It's not a bad place, and it is one of the only places where you can order online and pick up your food at the restaurant which is definitely a plus.

No comments: