21 December 2009

Restaurants: Asia Bambus

There are a couple of Asian restaurants in Tübingen and since I hadn't tried any of them yet, I figured it was about time.  I started with the one near the Döner stand that I usually go to.  It's in the old part of town between the Holzmarkt and the Marktplatz.  The restaurant is called Asia Bambus and it's located at Kirchgasse 6.

They seem to have a perpetual special which is 5 Euros for any main dish on the menu - or at least they've had this special for the last few months.  It's located on the first floor of the building - just above Asmara (the only after-hours bar in town) and an Italian place.  Once you go up the stairs it's through a very unassuming little door. and you can pretty much sit wherever you want.

In addition to the dishes being 5 Euros - which includes rice, you can add soup or egg rolls for either 1 or 2 Euro.  I had the Kung Pao Pork and the Peking soup.  Andrew had the Kung Pao Chicken and Eggdrop soup.  The Peking soup is kind of like Hot and Sour soup, but it's a little sweeter than you would expect.  I added some chili sauce to it to make it a little spicier.  It was pretty tasty.  Andrew's eggdrop soup also had some veggies and pieces of chicken in it.  He said it was pretty good as well.

As for the Kung Pao dishes, they were good, but as with most Asian foods in Europe they were just a little bit off - mostly because they were not really spicy.  Again, I added some chili sauce to spice it up.  Even without the spice though, they were very good dishes and I would definitely recommend the restaurant.

One thing of note:  I have noticed after having read the ingredients of other foods and having woken up the next day after eating at Asia Bambus with puffy hands and feet, that they use MSG in some foods here.  If you're allergic to MSG or just want to avoid it you may want to ask about it.

1 comment:

Andrew Byers said...

The food was excellent, and a good value for the money. Just two problems. First, no water available, forcing customers to buy a drink. Not unique to this restaurant in Germany, I've found. Second, I blame the high MSG content for making my kneecaps fall asleep that night. Yes, my kneecaps fell asleep. I've experienced more intense pain, but that was the weirdest. No lasting damage fortunately.