29 September 2009

We interrupt this blog to complain...

I'm going to bitch a little bit right now.  I know...you're thinking to yourselves, what the heck else do you do on this blog...seriously!!  But this time I'm going to be complaining about technology and the lack of services that one can receive in Germany.  For example.  I cannot watch Hulu - which is a Web service that allows you to put various television programs in a queue and then watch them at your leisure.  I had been watching a couple of tv programs in the US via hulu....but that's all over now.  Even if I tunnel in through my university's VPN software, it can tell that I'm not in the US.  I also can't watch the shows directly from the tv network Web sites.  They can tell I'm not in the US and block me from watching....

The same goes for Pandora - which is like internet radio, but it will create playlists for you based on the songs you insert into the program.  Kinda like the iTunes Genius feature, but you don't have to download the songs.  Finally, I was trying to link to a youtube video that a friend had posted and I couldn't get to it because I'm in Germany.  Come on people!!!  What happened to freedom of speech?!!  What happened to international cooperation?!!  If anyone has suggestions I'm open to them.  Otherwise I'm going to have to start listening to German radio, and honestly that way lies madness.  I mean Rammstein is ok, but they get very little radio play.  Most German radio is techno, dance and top 40 crapola, in which I have no interest.  blah...

No comments: