12 August 2009

Positive Progress

So I had tried to sign up for an inexpensive language course that was being offered through the university I will be at next year. One of the reasons I'm going abroad is to work on my language skills. When you're getting a PhD in a foreign language studies, you can always work on your language skills.

Anyway, I say tried because I received word back a week or so ago that the course was full. I emailed back asking if there was a waiting list and inquiring as to how many people fail to show up, or end up canceling their registration.* I was informed that there was indeed a waitlist, I had been placed on said waitlist, and that I was #2 in line. I was a little bummed about not being able to register, but hopeful that two people would flake out or simply sign up for the earlier course.

Well, today I heard back and I have a spot in the class - whoo hoooo! I started filling out the forms today and have sent them an email back asking if I can just email them with an electronic signature instead of mailing them. We'll see.

One of the funny things about filling out the registration form, is that I had to take an online placement exam to see what level I should be placed in based on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. I tested into C-1, which is what I always test into, but the registration for the course only goes through B-2. I don't really care if the course is a little below my level. The important aspects of the course for me are that I will be speaking, reading, and writing German for three weeks, I get to meet other international students, and , the course has 1.5 days dedicated to dealing with bureaucracy, of which Germany has a lot.

Everything is coming together.

* I've worked with German "Beamte" in the past and I know the questions that you need to ask to get the answers you're really looking for. The waiting list thing was not information volunteered in the first email back.

No comments: