02 June 2014

Home Alone

Well, to be honest, I'm neither at home, nor am I really alone, but it feels like that right now.

I have a roommate. She's very nice, a bit of a flake, and reminds me a lot of my sister.  She's also a huge party animal. She goes out most Sundays to this club, that is apparently very exclusive, and which I don't actually care about.  She has had a steady stream of visitors since we arrived almost two weeks ago.  RIght now, she has three friends over - friends from this exclusive club, but not just from there, who are hanging out together in her room.  I was working in the living room when they came home, but I think it's absurd for her to be hanging out in her room, when there is a perfectly good living room to hang out in, but obviously I wasn't invited to hang out with their group.  This is honestly fine by me, but I when I volunteer to clear out so that you can hang out in a room that is meant for hanging out, and that would be much more comfortable, I would think that they would take advantage of that.

But no.  Instead they are in her room, which is right next to my room, and which has paper thin walls, so that when I choose to go to bed, or talk on the phone with my husband, or do whatever, I have to hear their conversation throught he walls, and their music, and whatever else.  Again, I don't expect to be invited to hang out with her and her friends, but I feel very alone, sitting in my room by myself and biding my time until I can call home. 

It makes me feel like one of the un-cool kids.  Like I'm not cool enough to hang out with her and her friends.  Which, honestly, is probably true, but I don't want to be cool like them. My life does not revolve around partying. I like hanging out with my friends, and having partys but that is a sometimes thing, not an every night thing.  I feel like at the age of 38 - or 39 in my roommate's case - one would have gotten to the point where hanging out could be inclusive, and respectful, and I get that these are friends who she hasn't seen in a while, but I don't like being made to feel uncomfortable in my own home.

So, yes, I'm home alone, seeking out opportunities to spend weekends away so that I don't have to deal with this in the future.

No comments: